I spent 18 months on Wells Fargo’s Customer Insights team, a pod in the larger Customer Experience department. I learned their rigorous user research process that they’ve honed for over eight years.
- Partnered with design teams, internal business clients, research peers and vendors to lead projects in consumer facing products; usability testing of new features on the smartphone and tablet apps; and user interviews to improve the experience of various products on wellsfargo.com.
- Executed small-scale studies (including iterative studies in agile projects) by partnering with business clients and customer experience team. Executed all aspects of the research, including recruiting, moderating, card sort data analysis, documenting results and making recommendations, and communicating findings to stakeholders.
- Acted as an internal consultant to business partners to define research goals, outline study scope, identify requirements for research materials (prototypes, etc.) and facilitated project completion in collaboration with research vendors, including delivering supplemental presentations.
- Synthesizing past research to inform new projects
- Training new CX hires on the user personas and task models using gamification tools and rewards
- Consulting on a variety of quantitative and qualitative user testing processes with the customer experience (CX) team
- Online banking
- Wealth Management
- Mobile Wallet
- Personal Financial Management
- A sample sanitized research report is available upon request
- Credit Card
- Security Awareness
- User personas
- Designed user persona task model charts
Sample Research Documents
These documents are based on the research process I learned from Wells Fargo. They’ve been successfully using this process for @10 years now. According to vendors like AnswerLab and Good Measure, it’s incredibly rigorous.
Research process flow (PDF)
Sample research timeline (PDF)
Sample kick-off template (PDF)
Sample screener template (PDF)
Sample discussion guide (PDF)
Due to strict NDAs, I don’t have any of the original work that I did for the bank.